CLT – Complex Lymphoedema Therapy
Complex Lymphoedema Therapy offers intensive best practice treatment for more persistent swelling and provides a combination of services to see quick and effective results. Aspects of this treatment will be taught to the patient to continue during a home program. Patients may need some but not all aspects of this treatment.
CLT can involve a course of:
- Compression Bandaging (Compri2, Coban2 Lite, Comprilan)
- Manual Lymphatic Drainage Massage
- Low-Level Laser (Riancorp) for scars, adhesions, post cellulitis, fibrosis and swelling.
- Exercise Prescription
- Scar Tissue Management including soft tissue release and use of silicone products.
- Cording (AWS) Treatment and Skin Care
- Compression Garment Prescription including: Ready to Wear Or Custom-Made Garmenting
- Prescription of Swell Spots, Lymph Taping and Sequential Intermittent Pneumatic Compression Pumps
- Psychosocial support and coping strategies with return to work planning and monitoring for persistent pain.
Laura can prescribe under the QLD Health Compression Garment Guideline (please discuss this with her as garments might be funded by QLD Health if eligible).
Laura Manning is certified to implement the Strength ABC program. This is an evidence based rehabilitative, slow and progressive weight training program shown in the literature to reduce an existing swelling by 50% and prevent the first incidence of lymphoedema by 70%. The program is taught to the patient over 4 X sessions.
L-DEX (Bio-Impedance Screening) can detect swelling at the sub-clinical (10 months before the patient has symptoms) or monitor for changes during adjuvant chemotherapy and radiotherapy. The Australasian Lymphology Association Position Statement recommends patents are screened pre-op, and at 3 monthly intervals post op.
Lipoedema is an unfair and often debilitating condition also termed ‘Painful Fat Syndrome’, but conservative management can significantly reduce the progression and the severity. Aspects of CLT will be offered and tailored to meet the needs of the patient with Lipoedema or Lipolymphoedema.
Venous diseases are complex and can vary in severity of symptoms. Conservative treatment is available for:
- Varicose Veins, DVT (following medical review)
- Compression garmenting for Vein Stripping
- Venous Insufficiency and prevention for Cellulitis recurrence.
- Liaison with the GP/Specialist/Wound Solutions Clinic to arrange an ABPI or TPI to ensure safe prescription of compression.