Pre-op Prostatectomy advice
Pre-op prostatectomy advice
How can I best prepare pre-op for my prostatectomy surgery?
It is ideal to begin training 4-6 weeks prior to surgery to increase the changes of a speedy recovery post-op after having a prostatectomy.
- No just in case visits to the toilet
- Learn to recognise a legitimate need to empty your bladder as opposed to a false alarm and regain control over when your bladder empties through urgency strategies (Discussed in “Bladder Training”)
- Reduce bladder irritants such as alcohol, tea, coffee and soft drinks
- Begin with pelvic floor and core exercises (discussed in Level 1 and 2)
- Ensure good healthy diet
- Ensure good quality sleep
- Get active
Ensure good erectile function pre-operatively – research has indicated a correlation between good pre-operative erectile function and satisfaction with post-operative erectile